Monday, August 11, 2014

O Captain! My Captain!

   Before I begin tonight's post, I'd like to dedicate it to a great man, Robin Williams, who tragically took his own life today. The joy you brought to our lives will never be forgotten.

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
                         But O heart! heart! heart!
                            O the bleeding drops of red,
                               Where on the deck my Captain lies,
                                  Fallen cold and dead.
O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
                         Here Captain! dear father!
                            The arm beneath your head!
                               It is some dream that on the deck,
                                 You’ve fallen cold and dead.
My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still,
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will,
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
                         Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
                            But I with mournful tread,
                               Walk the deck my Captain lies,
                                  Fallen cold and dead.

~Walt Whitman

    After missing another week, I'm back. That's the thing about summer. Time tends to get a little weird and scheduled things start to get away from you. At least, that's the way it is for me.
   Regardless, I am enjoying my last few official days of summer. Thursday is "vet day" for the marching band, and then band camp starts in earnest next Monday, so we're basically closing the book on the summer of 2014, here. I'd say it was a good one.
   Last week I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy and I cannot stress how great this movie is. As far as superhero movies go these past several years, I wouldn't quite call it Avengers level, but far, far better than Thor or even Captain American. Absolutely a new favorite. I found it to be a perfect blend of comedy and action-personally I prefer a little more drama/seriousness, but I couldn't help but fall in love with this movie. I won't spoil anything, of course, as it just came out. Suffice it to say, that line at the end needs to be a movie. If they can pull off the Guardians of the Galaxy, I think they might just be able to get away with it. Besides, it happened in the 80's, let's see history repeat itself!

   In other fairly big news, today I launched my first solo podcast Pokecast-a podcast focusing on news from the popular Pokemon series of anime, video games, and TCG. Episode 1-Bulbasaur is up on the RSS feed. You can listen to it now on the Nerds Under Fire site, or wait and subscribe when it is approved by iTunes. During our first episode, I discuss the new mega-evolutions announced for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire as well as the new Pokemon Center website, and more! Be sure to check it out and leave feedback at nerdsunderfire@gmail.com.
   I think that will about do it for this post. When we next meet, we will have both a trailer and launch date for Warlords of Draenor, so stay tuned for that. Have a great week!

Tacos,
Gladdstone

No comments:

Post a Comment