Friday, April 25, 2014

So College is a Thing

Pictured: Places I actually have no interest in attending
   Yikes, somehow I forget how little time I have left in high school. Even now, as my junior year begins to draw to a close, I'm experiencing the first of many lasts, as well as the first of many more firsts. Tomorrow I go to my first college open house. Granted, it's just the local community college, and I don't really plan on going there at this point in time, but hey-can't hurt to go look and get a feel for the place, right? Hopefully I'll get to talk to some people from the music and computer science departments and get their opinions. Who knows? It could be a good thing, it would certainly save me a lot of money. Plus, I could stay with my current private violin teacher for another two years, which I would absolutely love.

Because this looks
fun to me.
   Right now I'm thinking I will probably major in music ed with a minor in some sort of computer science field. I'm not sure what, but I really want to get a hang of working with computers. I definitely plan to make this a big part of my life, and being able to code my own website, and maintain my own RSS feed is something I'm definitely interested in learning to do.
   As for lasts, next week is a biggie. That would be leadership auditions for the marching band next year. Seeing as that will be my final year, I will get a position. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. It is quite simply, a fact. I'm going out for both flute section leader as well as drum major and one of those spots will be mine, that I promise you.
Pictured: Awesomeness
   I especially want to be drum major though, and here's why. When I was a kid, my grandmother (now deceased) would take me to go see the parades throughout the year. The street they were on has a Wendy's on it that at the time had a big open window area looking out onto the street. So that was where we would sit for every parade, and it was a great way to watch. Every time the marching band went by, I would think about how much I wanted to do that someday (I was somewhere between 5, and maybe 6 or 7 when we did this), but more than anything, I wanted to be the person who was conducting up front. I would always turn to my grandmother, pointing at the drum major and say "Someday, I want to do that." and she would smile at me. 12 years later, and I still want to do it-scratch that. 12 years later, and I will do it, and there is no power in this 'Verse that's gonna stop me, goram it!

TACOS
Gladdstone

No comments:

Post a Comment