Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Social Me-Dia


   So recently my lovely study hall (read: locked in a practice room working on the music for Phantom) was interrupted by a wonderful thing called OLWEUS. For those who don't know, this is a sort of anti-bullying campaign being spearheaded by some New York public schools from elementary to the high school level. 
   Anyway, today's topic was social media, or rather, the over saturation of it in our modern society. Essentially this boils down to thirty minutes of teachers describing the horror that is social media and its destructive tendencies towards the younger generation's societal interactions.
   As fellow denizens of the inter-webs, I'm sure you can sympathize as to why this thoroughly infuriated me. Now, of course, don't get me wrong and think that I am attached at the hip to my phone, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm attached at the hip to my 3DS. Regardless, I feel as though many of the older generation have a sort of misunderstanding with this new form of technology.
   Whenever society undergoes a major paradigm shift,the older generations disagree, this is and always will be the case. For now, the best we can do, really is wait it out, unfortunately. 
   Now, that isn't to say that we should be gluing ourselves to our devices. Far from it. It is imperative that we are aware of our dependence on our electronics and that we do our best to minimize it. However, in this day and age, it is quickly becoming the social norm to check your phone frequently, even whenever it goes off. 
   I believe that what we are seeing now is the extreme limit of dependence, that is to say that many people are finding that their entire lives revolve around this (discounting those who make their living through the Internet and social media, of course). This will certainly level out with time, much in the way the Internet is beginning to. Unspoken rules must be established through experimentation, which comes with time.
   A heavy subject to start off the new location of my personal blog with, and not a lot for you gamers, but regardless, this is my opinion. Let me know what you think in the comments, or you can find me and my many social media accounts to which I am fairly attached at:
www.nerdunderfire.com
which hopefully should be updated with a new blog post from the NuF team soon.
Until then, tacos.
Gladdstone

No comments:

Post a Comment