Monday, May 5, 2014

It's a Brand New Day

   Monday evening again, and here I am again. It's good to be back, like slipping back into a familiar coat.
   Friday was an interesting day. It appears I am now the Pam of the marching band ((go watch The Office if you don't understand, you uncultured swine). Not sure what I do, but whatever. Should be a good year nonetheless.
   Saturday was, as I'm sure you all know, Free Comic Book Day. For me, the day has become less about free stuff, and more about meeting new people. Nik, Nate, and I all went to the mall and enjoyed talking to some likeminded nerds. We even saw a couple cosplayers. Power Rangers. I stopped in the middle of the mall and saluted them exclaiming  "God bless America." because what else could you possibly do at a moment like that?
   Slightly less exciting than that was that I had to take the SAT first. Let me say, that was the most absurdly stressful thing I've ever done in my life. And I had to pay money for it.
   Don't get me wrong, it was incredibly easy (never even picked up a review book), but the time constraints were absolutely killer. The math portions were less difficult, and more time consuming. Sort of so that one brief mistake could cost you the time to do an entire question.
   Enough about that, though. Let's talk music! I haven't quite found the time to finish that violin cover of I Miss You yet, but let me tell you, words cannot describe how excited I am to finish and perform it. It's going to be so fantastic. The intricacies of the parts and the way they fit together are just so great.
   Speaking of which, Rivenburg (orchestra teacher) had a guest violinist in today. And not just any violinist, a rock violinist. Yeah. Think about that. Basically what he would do is he'd set his equipment to record from his acoustic/electric violin and then loop while he played the melody. It was all dne live, too which made it all the more impressive. He would lay down the bea, then base, some decoratives, and go to town. It was truly incredible. If you want to check him out (and I highly recommend you do), his name is Andrea di Cesare. He's an Italian violinist, and he didn't speak much English from what I could tell. It wasn't too bad though, I know enough Italian to get the gist of what he was trying to say. I must say, though, it really got me excited to try broadening my horizons with my instrument a bit.
   Speaking of broadening my horizons, tomorrow I'll be picking up a low brass instrument for the first time. For the marching band, or course, just like basically everything else I do. I love my fluties, but it looks like the low brass are going to need warm bodies, and Shannon and Megan have it all in good hands. I'm sure they'll get along fine (read: better) without me.
   That oughta do it for tonight. I'll see you all on Wednesday.

Tacos,
Gladdstone

No comments:

Post a Comment